Another Big Casualty in Fox News Scandal

Board members at 21st Century Fox this week took dramatic steps to end what was shaping up to be an epic HR train wreck at the media giant.

On Tuesday they dismissed Bill O’Reilly, popular host of “The O’Reilly Factor,” the  top-rated show on its top-rated cable outlet, the Fox News Channel. News stories recently have detailed sexual-harassment complaints that have piled up against O’Reilly, costing the network at least $13 million in settlements so far and more in than 50 advertisers as the unflattering headlines tarnished the Fox News brand. It was the latest chapter in a story that began with the ouster of Fox News CEO Roger Ailes last summer over similar allegations of rampant sexual harassment problems at Fox News.

The New York Times, which started the latest chain of events on April 1 by publishing the first accounts of sexual-harassment complaints against O’Reilly, said the decision to fire him was made by Rupert Murdoch and his two sons, who hold controlling interests in 21st Century Fox after an internal investigation found that several women had reported inappropriate conduct by O’Reilly. Murdoch, executive co-chairman of the 21st Century Fox board, also has been acting CEO of the Fox News unit since Ailes was fired in July 2016.

The decision came in a terse announcement: “After a thorough and careful review of the allegations, the Company and Bill O’Reilly have agreed that Bill O’Reilly will not be returning to the Fox News Channel.” The deal included severance payments of up to $25 million, several news organizations reported.

O’Reilly, who was in Italy on vacation when the news of his dismissal broke, expressed disappointment in a series of short statements that alluded to his longstanding contempt for “political correctness.”

“Over the past 20 years at Fox News, I have been extremely proud to launch and lead one of the most successful news programs in history, which has consistently informed and entertained millions of Americans and significantly contributed to building Fox into the dominant news network in television,” O’Reilly said in one statement published by Entertainment Weekly late on Tuesday. “It is tremendously disheartening that we part ways due to completely unfounded claims. But that is the unfortunate reality many of us in the public eye must live with today. I will always look back on my time at Fox with great pride in the unprecedented success we achieved and with my deepest gratitude to all my dedicated viewers. I wish only the best for Fox News Channel.”

 

Leave a Reply